Sunday, December 16, 2012

[Sunday, December 16, 2012] Day 79

Let's back up just a little to Thursday, Day 76.
We woke up with an overwhelming sense of peace - so grateful to each of you that joined us in a fast for strength, peace, and knowledge.
Preliminary results from the tests on the abnormal cells indicate that the cells are either Kenton's old cells that haven't been kicked out of his marrow yet, and/or blasts (baby cells that haven't grown enough to determine what they are yet).
Steroids are finished as of day 79.
Cyclosporine (anti-rejection med) was tapered to 200 mg (? not sure if mg is the correct dosing. . .) from 400.
The hope is that Kenton's body will recognize the abnormal cells as what they are - abnormal cells, and remove them automatically.
This may happen through graft vs. host disease (GVHD).
GVHD in small amounts is beneficial as it shows that his body is understanding that there are cells there that don't belong.
GVHD in large amounts is scary.  GVHD can manifest in many many different ways.
Our prayers are that Kenton's body will be strong.
That it will recognize the abnormal cells as the "bad guys" and get rid of them...without him becoming too sick.
There are tests being run in Washington that may give more answers and a clearer path of treatment.  Results of those tests should be available at clinic tomorrow morning.
We're hopeful that those results will mimic the preliminary findings.
What all of this means, is that the magic date of January 6th - that day when we were going to move the boys back home and we'd all get to live together as a family again - may have to be postponed.
A detour.
But, to quote my super sweet friend Kristi, "Dang those detours, but they always seem to get us where we're supposed to be."
We'll be okay.
Kenton received TWO units of packed red blood at clinic on Thursday.
It was a very long day for the boys as they were there from 9:00 am until nearly 5 pm.
They said it was a super busy day at clinic.
McKayslin and Kenton talked Thursday morning at 7 just as they always do.
I talked to the boys at lunch time, just as we always do.
We skyped at dinner time, just as we always do.
Our new normal.
Grateful for technology.
Then Thursday evening, McKayslin and I were able to attend the Pickleville Playhouse Christmas play at USU thanks to a nomination by Hope Hansen and the generosity of Pickleville Playhouse.
We had a fantastic evening out!
The good news of the preliminary testing for Kenton combined with an incredible Christmas production that had us laughing through nearly the entire show just lifted our spirits and made for a really great night.
McKayslin even got to see Santa (again).
Of course, her main Christmas wish is to have her boys home.
Her secondary wish?
A room make-over.  :)
Friday we packed up after school and headed to SLC to see our boys.
Traffic was not exactly friendly, and it took us a long time to get there.
We eventually arrived, safely, and started our weekend.
Kenton opened his present from Madi.
The kids opened part of their 12 days of Christmas gifts from our Secret Friend.
We had dinner.
Watched movies.
Enjoyed the evening.
Saturday morning, I walked out of the bedroom to find this. . .
I {so big puffy heart} these two!
After breakfast and meds, Kenton and I headed off on a "mom date" to pick up the stuff so he could finish "Project Goose" - McKayslin's Christmas present from him.
He's so excited about this gift and has worked so hard to get it just right.
She's going to LOVE it!
We were out and about for a few hours.
Found what we needed from Michael's for Project Goose and picked up Elf on the Shelf - Buddy for Kenton and Holly for McKayslin.
Lunchtime struck and I knew I needed to feed Kenton.
We decided on Costa Vida, and thanks to Bertha (my phone voice navigator), we found Costa Vida, which happened to be right next to Sweet Tooth Fairy!  YAY!  BONUS!
We had lunch and headed back to the hotel after a quick stop for groceries.
Luke and McKayslin were just enjoying a good lazy day watching movies and hanging out in their jammies.  :)
Later, Kenton and I headed back to Sweet Tooth Fairy for another little treat for Goosey, then back to watch movies and play games.
Christa came with cute gifts for our family - and a gift that will allow each of us to choose a gift for another person in our family at this Christmas time.  A gift that came with STRICT orders that was the ONLY thing this gift is to be used for.
Sunday morning. . . CHURCH!
We headed up to PCMC for sacrament meeting.
We love the branch there.
Pres. and Sister Cornelious, the branch presidency, the members of the branch - they're fantastic and have been such an integral part of Kenton's treatment.
Then back to the hotel where Favorite and Uncle Frank met us with an incredibly generous gift from the extended Kent family.
We've been so incredibly blessed over the past 6 months in every possible way.
Just this month, we've had donations made that will allow us to proceed with life for the next couple of months without worrying about Christmas, gas money, grocery money, or how we're going to pay our bills.
THANK YOU for loving our family and providing for us, allowing us to focus on what we need to focus on at this point in time.
After lunch, we played some games, watched some tv, and then it was time for us girls to pack up and head back home.
Always a sad moment.
But. . .FIVE SLEEPS till we get to spend ELEVEN DAYS with our boys!
Our drive home was really good until the top of the canyon right at the snow sheds when it was like a switch had been thrown!
We passed the top of the canyon right into slushy slick roads and snow!
McKayslin closed her eyes and said a prayer for us to be safe.
We drove about 30 miles an hour through the canyon.
Made it home safely.
She then closed her eyes and said a thank you prayer.
I just have to say that my kids are awesome.
LOVE them so much!
We arrived home, unpacked the van, took care of Sparky, talked to the boys, had some dinner, and McKayslin went to bed.

It's been another very good weekend.
Clinic tomorrow.
Praying for continued good results from the testing.
Praying for Kenton's body to be strong and work like it should.
Grateful for all of the prayers and faith on our behalf.
Thank you.

1 comment:

Trina Christensen said...

Thanks for the update :) Prayers for clinic tomorrow!!!