Monday, July 16, 2012

[July 16, 2012] Monday. Day 32

Today was a pretty low key day.
Kenton woke up feeling a bit yucky.  We need to figure out what mix of meds/food work best so he doesn't wake up feeling like he needs to throw up.  :(

We had some breakfast.
And waited around for the home health nurse.
I mixed up a batch of homemade bread.

And we waited.

And waited.

She arrived 2 hours late.

She said that her previous patient had many more problems than she could have even anticipated.  I was feeling really cranky about the whole thing, but then gave myself a figurative smack upside the head and realized that at some point Kenton may be the patient that needs more time and I would appreciate knowing that the nurse would take that time rather than just move on because that was the "schedule."

She changed the picc line dressing, checked the drainage tubes in Kenton's armpit, changed the caps on his lines, and drew blood.

Sister Ryan came during this whole process to give us a kind and generous offering from the ward.  I really can't express how much I love this Hyrum 8th ward!

As Sister Ryan was leaving, she asked if McKayslin would like to go to the dam and play with the girls today.  Of course she would!

Home health finished up.  I fed the kids some lunch and McKayslin got ready to go play.

While she was gone, Kenton and I played some UNO and watched some TV.
He's frustrated and kind of angry that even though we're home, his activities are limited to essentially what they were in the hospital.

I get that.
But. . .until his counts recover more, I'm not going to take any chances.

Luke came home, mowed the lawn, Kenton and I watched more tv.

Nicole (our oncology nurse from PCMC called).
White count dropped to 0.8, hemochrit dropped a little, ANC stayed at 100 (good thing they didn't keep Kenton at the hospital till it came up, lol), but. . .platelets were higher than they were on Thursday.

I really have no idea what any of that means.
I should probably figure it out.

Even though counts are what they are, our oncologist still wants to go forward with the scans, clinic, and procedures on Thursday.  I suppose we'll find out more then.

Luke finished the lawn and came in to shower.
I went to the grocery store to buy the necessary groceries to fix the meals Kenton thought sounded good.  He's lost 5 more pounds since we've been home.
Nothing really sounds or tastes great.
When he does eat it's only tiny amounts.
It's crazy to me that McKayslin out eats him now.

While I was gone, McKayslin came home and showered.
I got home, fixed dinner (malibu chicken, corn on the cob, and watermelon).
We ate and put the kids to bed.

Kenton came out of his room and said he'd heard a knock on the door.
I ran upstairs and he was right - Grandpa Mike and Grandma 'Nette were here.
Kenton came up and visited with them for a while.
McKayslin came up, too.
It was good to see them and spend some time just visiting.
Kenton showed them all his treasures and they responded with appropriate awe.  ;)

Just as they were getting ready to leave, Kellen came over and brought Kenton a couple of really fun kits (paper airplanes and origami) for him to use when he goes back to the hospital.  We sure have great neighbors!

They left right in the middle of a huge rainstorm.
We put the kids back to bed.
Watched tv for a bit.
Started Kenton's IV infusion.
Went to bed.
I was going to get up and change out the infusion, but I had a little Goose on my arm, so Luke did that part for me.

It wasn't a great night for sleeping here.
Not sure why.
I guess some days are like that.

And that, my friends, is lame-o day 32.

No comments: