Wednesday, July 18, 2012

[July 18, 2012] Wednesday. Day 33. . or 34? I have no idea.

Remember when I said we'd figured out how to have Kenton not throw up in the mornings?
Um, well, that was a bit premature.

This morning he threw up twice before 7 and once more before 8.
Uuuggghh.  Poor kid.
Not sure what's going on with him.

Finally around 8:30, his stomach seemed to settle and he had a great day.
He ate some toast, some graham fish crackers, some mac and cheese (keep reading for the recipe - sooooo yummy!), more toast, some macaroni salad (weird, I know - but it was really just noodles, shredded cheese, and miracle whip/mustard/milk mixed together with some garlic salt), and drank a LOT of Gatorade.
There were a few episodes of ". . .ummmm, my tummy doesn't feel so good. . ." but he didn't throw up again.
I called and asked for a prescription of Ativan.
Gratefully they called it right in to Reed's and Luke picked it up on his way home.

The whole morning, Kenton just hung out in the tv room on the couch, watching tv.
Lots and lots of Animal Planet and History Channel.
At one point he was watching the exact same Cheetah documentary we watched at 2:00 AM the first 2 nights we were at the hospital.
Um, yeah, it wasn't that thrilling the first two times. . .

Later in the morning, Kenton started to feel pretty good.
Or at least better than he had felt all morning!
He and McKayslin broke out the paper airplane kit from Kellen and started creating.
Oh, my, did they have fun!

They had paper airplane flying contests.


And wars.

And then they traded in their airplanes for Nerf guns.
Oh how I love to see and hear them playing like normal kids.
The giggles just made my whole day.
Having a day like this right in the middle of this whole crazy reality was a huge blessing.
We're going to be okay.
Maybe not right now.  Maybe not next week.  But we WILL be okay.

At lunchtime, both kids were hungry (they should have been - they played so hard!), and I'd found this recipe on Pinterest (yep, wasting time, pretending that life was normal) for mac and cheese in a mug.  Mac and Cheese sounded good to the kids, so I thought we'd give it a shot.
Oh.My.Yum.
Almost as easy as Easy Mac.
And a heck of a lot tastier.

We're calling it MicroMac.  ;)
In a 2 cup microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup noodles (we used rotini) with 1/2 cup water.  Cook in 2 minute increments, stirring after each, up to 6 minutes until noodles are done and water is absorbed.  (It took 6 full minutes in my 1000 watt microwave).  Stir in 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used the fiesta blend finely shredded from walmart).  Microwave for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melty and sauce is thick.  Stir well.  Let cool, stirring occasionally, to eating temperature.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Since we're supposed to be keeping track of what Kenton eats (he's lost 5 pounds since he came home - combined with the 15 he lost at the hospital - they're a little bit worried) - I figured the calorie count on this.  296 calories per serving. 
Both kids LOVED it!
I did too.  Cheesy.  Delicious.

The afternoon was pretty laid back.
TV.
Games.
Just hanging out.
Being together.
Enjoying the afternoon.

Luke came home.
We had dinner.
Our after dinner discussion was centered around what to expect tomorrow.
Tomorrow is clinic day.
Kenton's nervous.  Or was.  Not so much after we talked for a while.
McKayslin is worried.  Still.  But looking forward to playing with her friends all day tomorrow.
I'm grateful.  Luke decided to come to clinic with Kenton and I.

McKayslin and I buzzed both boys' heads again.
Weirdos thought their hair was too long.
Whatever.
Kenton showered.
Luke packed the car for tomorrow.
Including suitcases for Kenton and I just in case.
I'd much rather be prepared if for some reason they make Kenton stay.

We played 2 games of UNO Roboto.
LOVE that game.
LOVE how it makes my kiddos laugh.
Such a great evening.

We said prayers.
Tucked the kids in.
Had some ice cream.
Watched some tv.

A nice normal-ish day.
Just what we needed to prepare for tomorrow.

Prayers are appreciated.

Not sure what to ask you to pray for.

Definitely for McKayslin. 
And for Kenton.
Safe travels.
Good news. 
That would be wonderful.
Peace.  Comfort.
Those would be wonderful as well.

We'll know more tomorrow.

And that, my friends, is day 33.  Or 34.
I thought it was 33, but tomorrow would be 35 because it's Thursday (7x5 = 35).
Hard to believe we're FIVE WEEKS into this mess.
Glad to see those five weeks behind us.

So. . .that's day 33/4.
I'll figure it out later.
I'm going to bed.
(Right after I take out my contacts, brush my teeth, say my prayers, and give Kenton his IV infusion - but Luke is going to do that - so grateful).
Good night.

Thanks for being here.
For the Facebook messages, the texts, the prayers, the faith, the countless acts of service. Thanks.

3 comments:

Rhonda Miller said...

I hope his tummy gets feeling better. It's nice to have those normal minutes in the middle of all the chaos, isn't it? I'm continuing to pray for you all.

Stephanie said...

I love this blog! You guys amazing!!! I just wanted to re-post this (I posted it in reply to "Kenton's cards" but it was several days later and I am thinking in all of the chaos you don't exactly have time to read straggler posts like that one. ;) Anyway, let me know what you think of the idea!
Dear Deb & Luke, I was following a facebook link to see how Kenton (who I then recognized as a friend of Kylie's that she was worried about) was doing and as I read, I realized Kenton is your adorable boy who we knew just as 'Bubba' during the soccer days. We are so sad yet inspired by Kenton and your family and we want to help in any way possible. We were brainstorming ideas about a "Kenton's Cup" 3v3 soccer tournament. It seems like after all that your family has done for soccer kids in Hyrum, it would be good if soccer could give something back to you! What do you think? Wishing you all the best and sending prayers your way! Brian and Stephanie Tippets

Robert said...

I was visiting with Joni Miller and she told me about the trials your family has been experiencing. My family has been there, and there is life after chemo, and Living for weeks at a time in ICS. The staff is amazing and you will find you will have your favorites like Manny and Irish. Stay strong and possitive and you will get through this.

Forever Strong

Robert Smith